Monday, December 31, 2012

Catching Up: Museums...

What better time to catch up on museum viewing than the holidays?  Too bad everyone else in NYC has the same genius idea.  I recently went to the Met and the MoMA with some friends and I thought I would write about my trips.

Metropolitan Museum of Art:  I went to the Met to see the Andy Warhol special exhibit.  (I love Andy Warhol's genius!)  I have to say I was kind of disappointed with this exhibit, because all in all there wasn't that much Andy Warhol.  It was Andy Warhol mixed in with a bunch of stuff from other people and you could always tell without looking at the description, which was Warhol and which was not.  I also feel like the Met doesn't really know how to present and explain modern art -- perhaps they should just leave it to the MoMA.  At the end of the exhibit, they had some. I also visited the rest of the modern art exhibit section at the Met, a small special exhibit on Klee (the later years), and a special exhibit on Matisse.

MoMA:  I prefer the MoMA to the Met actually, because I find the MoMA much more manageable to navigate.  The Met can be overwhelming at times.  I enjoyed this visit to the MoMA, in part because I went with my friends Priya and Deepak, however it was really crowded since we went on Sunday Dec 23rd.  As a result, I wasn't able to see a lot of the special exhibits since the lines were so long.  For example, I didn't see The Scream by Edvard Munch, or any of the other paintings on this floor (including Frida Kahlo), since the line for the The Scream was blocking entrance to the floor.  In any case, I had fun looking at more Warhol, Jasper Johns, Rauschenberg, and the photography section.  They also had a neat exhibit called shadow puppets -- you are never too old for shadow puppets!  I need to go back to see The Scream and other paintings!  I will also visit the MoMA PS1 in Queens and eat a SriPraPhai!

Visiting the museums is a good excuse to pick up cool and unusual postcards.  I have a friend in Berkeley who likes to My next museum trip will be the Guggenheim for the Picasso black and white exhibit.  Come visit soon Elizabeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment